A compendium of craft masquerading as art, art masquerading as craft, and craft extending its middle finger.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

After the Ball


I'm one of those dorks who slowly opens gifts, carefully peeling the tape off and saving the wrapping paper. I do this in part because I love surprises, and it's fun for me to prolong the suspense of opening a package. Some people do this because they are cheap bastards who save wrapping paper for another day, but I can't remember the last time I actually saved the paper for later. Mainly, I'm carefull with the paper because I realize that nothing is as sad as the wadded up remains of a party--crumpled wrapping paper, stretched-out ribbons, swept-up confetti mingling with dust bunnies, and the last few slices of horrible white cake with too much frosting that live in the office break room until some kind soul has mercy on it and puts it to rest.

I have a feeling that Miami-based artist Frances Trombly feels my sorrow as well. Trombly ratchets up the melancholy of abandoned party favors with her lovingly crafted sculptures. Her installations are filled with spent decorations (like the congratulations banner above) that are painstakingly created using knitting, hand-weaving, cross stitch, and more. When shown in a spare, white gallery, the human-scale objects appear to be even more alone. Upon closer inspection, the objects cast off their pathetic auras, revealing themselves to be crafted luxury items. Check out her (warning--annoying Flash) website, which is chock-a-block with examples of her work. Get your party started!

LINK thanks, Clifton

3 Comments:

At 10/14/2006 12:54:00 PM, Anonymous Click Here said...

Hi,

My wife does the same thing, it takes her an hour to unwrap gifts as she tries to save the wrapper :)

 
At 11/06/2007 10:31:00 PM, Blogger Christmas Clip Art said...

Wrapping gifts, as necessary as it is, is such a waste. My wife saves the bows every xmas, and while I understand it, wrapping the presents just so they can be torn open is a strange tradition. Oh well, i guess it's part of the fun.

Christmas Clip Art

 
At 10/21/2010 03:54:00 AM, Blogger dfadf said...

Microsoft Office
Office 2010
Microsoft Office 2010
Office 2010 key
Office 2010 download
Office 2010 Professional
Microsoft outlook
Outlook 2010
Windows 7
Microsoft outlook 2010

 

Post a Comment

<< Home