A compendium of craft masquerading as art, art masquerading as craft, and craft extending its middle finger.

Friday, July 14, 2006

Vaudeville Lives!

I'm not much for flag waving and covering my cars with those silly stick-on ribbons, but I've got such a boner for America right now--a huge Walt Whitman-style one. I want to grab America and hug it into a crushed "Of Mice and Men" puddle. What's got me yawping so hard? Three words. AMERICA'S. GOT. TALENT. Who would have thought that 90 years after the death of Vaudeville, and 25 years after the death of the Gong Show, America would make a two-bit talent show the most popular show in the land? What a two-bit talent show, though. America's Got Talent proves that we are a nation of cranks, practicing our contortion, balloon tricks, and Boy-Band Clogging in our garages and basements.

I see the participants in "America's Got talent" as being directly related to adherents of Extreme Craft that I feature on this website. The popularity of the television show is proof that America was built on the "Whim of Iron", that analogue to the "Will of Iron", but proving that you should value your most crackpot creative urges, and see them through to the bitter end. I can't recall being more thoroughly fascinated by the boundlessness of human creation as I am when watching this television show.

I've only seen a single episode of a similar show, "Master of Champions" that operates on a similar principal, but without the charm of Regis and Hasselhoff. "Master of Champions" has some crackpots to be sure, but it seems like the network makes every effort to box them in rather than showcase their uniqueness. Nonetheless, I'm totally in the thrall of these shows. My TIVO's brain is bleeding trying to keep track of all of the episodes of the talent shows along with the new season of Project Runway. I guess you know where you can find me this TV season--on my couch knitting man-doilies and dreaming about taking my Flea Circus to the big time.

3 Comments:

At 7/14/2006 11:16:00 PM, Blogger Larjmarj said...

Ok...I'll admit it that was crazy cool. I think Hasslehoff was a litte TOO excited. He even broke through his botox.

 
At 7/15/2006 10:31:00 AM, Blogger samoheyl said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7/15/2006 10:33:00 AM, Blogger samoheyl said...

Hi Garth it's Sean Samoheyl, creator of the Bert and Ernie sweaters from Folk Fest last year. I was wondering if you'd be coming by this year. I'll be there with a gallery called San Angel from TX. I've been following your blog all year. You could email me at sean@twinoaks.org/ Good to be in touch. Take care, Sean

 

Post a Comment

<< Home