A compendium of craft masquerading as art, art masquerading as craft, and craft extending its middle finger.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Roach Brooch


I'm just going to come out and admit it. In the 6th grade, I kept cockroaches as pets. I grew up on a farm in Nebraska, and cockroaches seemed terribly exotic (oh cruel irony in light of my current home in Nebraska). I actually acquired the roaches for a science fair experiment (WOW! my parents let me raise roaches in their home, but wouldn't allow me to own a rubber snake when I was a kid, because it was "a symbol of the devil"). I got the cockroaches--commonlittle ones--from the entymology department at the University of Nebraska. I remember being particularly fascinated by the giant Madagascar Hissing cockroaches that they kept in the department. THOSE were some roaches! While I was presenting the project to the judges, a few cockroaches managed to escape, damning my chances, but it added a little bit of spice in between baking soda/vinegar volcanoes.

Imagine my delight when Mandi from Beadcircle emailed me about the Madagascar Hissing Cockroach jewelry from Black Chandelier. Each roach is painstakingly decorated with colored rhinestones, then mailed to your door! Your new friend will happily live on bananas (or dog food, if I remember my roach care manual). When you go out, the cockroach can be clasped to your clothing with a short chain. Imagine the friends you'll make! I wonder if anyone has made little outfits for their cockroaches? It would be great to have a roach Mini-Me... Imagine! Television would probably come calling. Me and my cockroach would be a version of "B.J. and the Bear" for the new Millenium.

LINK thanks, Mandi!

4 Comments:

At 7/25/2006 11:10:00 AM, Blogger jodi said...

Might be worth starting up a little Georgia cottage industry, eh?

At the very least, it'll help ensure that when the cockroaches finally take over the world, they'll have all the more reason to hate us.

 
At 7/25/2006 11:35:00 AM, Blogger SisterDG said...

Just when I think I'm having a bad morning . . . the amazing Garth writes about roach bling AND manages to reference BJ and the Bear. Suddenly the world is brighter.

You just rock so hard, Garth. I raise my tiki mug to you.

 
At 7/25/2006 04:20:00 PM, Blogger kate said...

you would have enjoyed the american's next top model episode where they had to walk the runway with the jewled roaches. HOTT.

 
At 7/16/2008 09:59:00 PM, Anonymous dazi mae said...

omg i wrote about this on my blog!!!! its weird! i have the same template and ideas as you !!! Heres my blog www.quiturbitchen.blogspot.com leave a comment!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home