A compendium of craft masquerading as art, art masquerading as craft, and craft extending its middle finger.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Do Not Drink While Piloting Craft


I think we all knowFoun that sickening feeling when we find out that an old friend has taken up a life of crime... or drugs ...or joined a cult. One time when I was in college, I dropped by a K-Mart to pick something up, and as I was leaving a guy accosted me at the door. Wait a minute... aren't you... GARTH? I didn't recognize the guy at first, but I soon realized that it was a fellow that I had gone to high school with. We settled into the snack bar, and he told me about the AMAZING BUSINESS VENTURE that he was taking part in. After some babble about manufacturers and suppliers, I finally realized that he was A FREAKIN' AMWAY SALESMAN. He credited Amway with steering him away from the booze and giving him a purpose in life. I can only applaud that, but the good folks at Amway definitely had the chip implanted in his head on lockdown.

Imagine my delight when I found out that my college buddies Meredith, Vickers, and Sommer have fallen in with a disreputable, dangerous gang. This gang? None other than the infamous "Booze & Yarn". Founded in 2002 by Corinna Mantlo, Booze & Yarn meets weekly in the East Village of Manhattan. Initiates learn how to make crafty (and dangerous) projects. The fortunate among us learned to knit by spending quality time with our mothers or grandmothers, but what of the rest of us, whose mothers and grandmothers told us that not learning to cook or sew was a great way to stick it to the man? Fortunately for us, Corinna realized that alcohol can fill that motherly void, making it much more pleasurable to pick up some mad domestic skillz while getting sozzled on highballs. Can anybody out there tell me their favorite knitting drink? I tried china painting one time while I was drinking Lil' Jon's "Crunk Juice" energy drink, and that didn't work out so well. If you live in the New York area, know that your enablers are waiting for you in the East Village with open arms (and bottles). If you live elsewhere, you might want to order Booze and Yarn's definitive guide, "The Fun Way to Learn Knitting". Cuddle up with your new book and something to take the edge off, and relish your new domestic role.

LINK thanks, Meredith!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home