A compendium of craft masquerading as art, art masquerading as craft, and craft extending its middle finger.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Shake Your Budoir


Swapatorium
, how do I love thee, let me count the ways. My eternal thanks go out to you for brightening my day every day with your trove of found objects and second-hand love. Today, though, Swapatorium shook me to my very core when it published a photo of the crazy bed pictured above. That's very nearly my bed! Not to brag, kiddoes, but I picked up a round bed with the TV canopy about ten years ago when a muffy sorority type was moving out of town and couldn't take her bed with her (her mother had given it to her for her 18th birthday!).

The bed has a television built into the canopy, as well as a stereo (with 8-track, natch), speakers, and (of course!) frosted mirrors. There is also matching furniture! The bed came with a little padded foot locker to hold linens, a side table, and another curious matching table with mirrored top (hmmmm....wonder what that could have been used for in the 70's). Elvis has a similar bed at Graceland, but covered in a shag material.

I've looked for years for information about the maker of these beds, but I've never found any. The construction is top-notch custom van particle board and staples--we're not talking about old-world craftsmanship. I'm sure the manufacturer had a sideline in custom vans, or at the very least, waterbeds. Anyone know more about these beds? I'm in the process of installing a 17" LCD screen in place of the ancient television... I'll make a post about it when I finish.

LINK

2 Comments:

At 6/28/2006 08:09:00 AM, Blogger MaryB said...

Whew! You had me worried, friend. I thought you were gonna tell me you'd sold "the bed" for your big move! Glad that's just not so -

 
At 6/29/2006 05:26:00 PM, Anonymous lenise said...

That's amazing! My friend has that exact bed! I can't believe there is more than one!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home