A compendium of craft masquerading as art, art masquerading as craft, and craft extending its middle finger.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The Fountain Pen of Youth


My pal Hooper recently found a treasure trove of old drawings from his childhood. The classics are all there...lots of cars, some war drawings, Transformers, Superheroes, and touchingly, Teen Wolf in the throes of "wolfing out". Despite the snarky comments that I left on the FLICKR page that he made for them, it's great to see the grade school mind of an artist with future greatness ahead of him. When I was in second grade, we had a wide-eyed hippie teacher that was fresh from college and intent on not stifling our emerging creativity. My friends and I convinced her that our drawings of naked people were "National Geographic people", and that it was entirely proper. Jesus God, I wish I had some of those drawings. Hooper is a much better person than I for saving his.

I particularly love the photo that I pictured above. Hooper apparently always had avant-garde tendencies, as Superman seems to be breaking out of a picture plane within the picture plane. Note the border actually falling to the ground (not to mention the cathedral that seems to be growing from his head).

LINK

1 Comments:

At 5/29/2006 09:20:00 AM, Blogger Ramona said...

this is such a beautiful picture. what a great idea for an exhibition. the thing I like about this stuff is because its all on really cheap paper it becomes so fragile over time. Treasure!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home