A compendium of craft masquerading as art, art masquerading as craft, and craft extending its middle finger.

Friday, December 02, 2005

My Atlanta Solo Art Debut


Crazy photos of me from the BBC website nonwithstanding, I make it a point not to write about my own art on Extreme Craft. Standards be damned, I wanted to invite any of you near Atlanta to my solo show at Spalding Nix Fine Art. Spalding Nix is an Old Master painting gallery that is filled with lovely Louis XVI furniture and Flemish paintings of rotting fruit...did I mention that the entire space is covered in RED VELVET? It's truly deluxe. I did a series of "pop rococo" vessels that are made from ceramic molds of syrup and soap bottles. They're ornamented with handles and spouts from old silver-plated coffee pots, and dripping with chinapaints, lusters, and yes...rhinestones. I also did a series of Elvis commemorative plates for the show, which are embellished with plenty of gold luster. Here is a short interview that Atlanta weekly Creative Loafing conducted last week. Stop by the show if you get a chance. It's at Spalding Nix Fine Art at 425 Peachtree Hill Avenue, NE Suite 30A. The reception is Saturday, December 3 from 7 to 9 p.m.

LINK to Flickr set of new work LINK to interview

2 Comments:

At 12/06/2005 02:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a mysterious voice typing from a library in Lincoln, Nebraska. Don't be afraid. Just let it give you warm wishes and congrats on your show. great job Garth. Be good.

 
At 12/07/2005 01:07:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am proud of you! Remember me when you make the firt million or the second or third....what ever! Your work is GREAT!!! love you from KS.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home