A compendium of craft masquerading as art, art masquerading as craft, and craft extending its middle finger.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

The Acci-DENTAL Tourist


Do you remember that episode of M*A*S*H where Hawkeye builds a tower out of 500,000 tongue depressors? I used to obsess over it as a child (but never collected enough tongue depressors to build my own). After posting about the popsicle Viking Ship earlier this year, I went on a hunt for toothpick art, thinking that I might find the motherlode of obsessive artists. I came up empty, but I just got this link to Steven J. Backman's toothpick sculptures.

Steven Backman is a San Francisco resident who is a sort of clearing house for all sorts of toothpick art. He builds abstractsculptures, obsessive literal sculpture, and charming 2-D toothpick drawings of celebrities. He bills his work as "The Essence of Patience", which I can't argue with. The above sculpture of the Golden Gate Bridge took 30,000 toothpicks and 2 1/2 years to complete. If you'd like to visit it, pay a visit to San Francisco's Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum. Did I mention that the whole thing lights up with over 100 tiny LED lights? Let's hope that he doesn't blow it up while wearing a bathrobe to make a point about the pointlessness of war....at least without me there to watch.

LINK thanks, Helena!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home