A compendium of craft masquerading as art, art masquerading as craft, and craft extending its middle finger.

Monday, October 24, 2005

Oh! Canada


Greetings from Vancouver, British Columbia. I'm kicking it here for a few days, and having a great time. While I haven't exactly uncovered hoards of Extreme Crafting Canucks making maple leaf skull sweaters, I have found a LOT of craft. Vancouver is a great knitting town, but it's also a great ceramic town. Fresh off the boat, I paid a visit to the Gallery of BC Ceramics on Granville Island. The work of Maggi Kneer especially caught my eye--it's a melange of well-made pottery and fussy Victorian porcelain. Covered with floral decals (pronounced "deckles"up North, don'cha know) Maggi's work evokes her childhood tea parties with her grandmother--perfect for summer days spent with teacakes and cucumber sandwiches. I purchased a beautiful cup...much like the one you see here. My guess is that Maggi is a potter who actually owns a pair of closed-toed shoes.

LINK

2 Comments:

At 10/24/2005 07:54:00 PM, Anonymous Shane Whitehouse said...

Haha! Welcome to Vancouver Garth. I too live in Vancouver. Enjoy your stay!

By the way, I just came across some more Crafty goodness for ExtremeCraft:

SuperHero knitted outfits:

http://www.gregkucera.com/newport.htm

 
At 10/24/2005 07:58:00 PM, Blogger shane said...

Haha! Welcome to Vancouver Garth. I too live in Vancouver. Enjoy your stay!

By the way, I just came across some more Crafty goodness for ExtremeCraft:

SuperHero knitted outfits:

http://www.gregkucera.com/newport.htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home