A compendium of craft masquerading as art, art masquerading as craft, and craft extending its middle finger.

Monday, October 17, 2005

Gol! Gol! Gol! Gol! Goooooooooooool!


I felt bad about bagging on ceramic artists last week, so over the weekend, I actually cracked a copy of Ceramics Monthly. I was surprised to find a thoughtful article about my friend Andy Shaw, and there were even a few pieces by other artists that caught my eye. One of those pieces was by Montana artist Douglas Baldwin (the back to nature Baldwin Brother). I've seen his work around before, and he uses it to construct narratives... they're almost multi-panel 3-Dimensional representations of 2-D comics. His new work is fantastic, combining historical, cultural, sculptural, and cartoon influences into a perfect "vessel"...THE STADIUM! Unfortunately, in typical Ceramics Monthly fashion, all the writer seems to be able to muster is that the work is "fun"... which is right up there with "cute" in my book.

“The joy and fun ceramists tout about working in clay is more or less universal,” contends author Tom Russo. “You would be hard-pressed to find a ceramics artist who didn’t first get to clay for the enjoyment of it. Complexity, years of training and physical pain aside, ceramics artists generally love to have fun with their clay. Many incorporate trappings of fun in their subject matter and style but few see it as prime purpose. [Doug] Baldwin seems to mix fun in the clay body itself.”
Shoot me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home