A compendium of craft masquerading as art, art masquerading as craft, and craft extending its middle finger.

Friday, September 09, 2005

I'm With the Band


I like ponies...and ceramics...and Dirty South rap music. I like a lot of things, and I suppose, in a way, that makes me a dilletante. Elodie Blanchard likes rubber bands...no Elodie Blanchard LOVES rubber bands. She loves rubber bands so much that seems to have structured her life around them. Ms. Blanchard, a French artist living in Brooklyn with her saxophonist husband runs the website elastic co, which sells her work--vases, bowls, and lighting fixtures--made entirely out of rubber bands. As if this weren't enough, Ms. Blanchard has been venturing into the world of performance art, dispatching her rubber band-covered minions to wander the streets of New York. How do you think you would react to a rubber band Yeti or Hopi Kuchina doll? Elodie Blanchard wants to find out.

LINK via BoingBoing via PopGadget

1 Comments:

At 9/10/2005 12:47:00 PM, Blogger scrapatorium said...

I've worked with rubber bands in the past and although they look cool at first, they break and get brittle quickly. I wonder if this woman applies some sort of fixative to her art.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home