A compendium of craft masquerading as art, art masquerading as craft, and craft extending its middle finger.

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Smoking Gun


I was a vegetarian for 12 years...then I moved to the South. I still don't eat much meat, and I still think that people eat waaaaay too much meat in this country, but I personally have to bend the rules when it comes to barbecue. Barbecue is an act of love, you see--treating the meat with the respect that it deserves...smoking, slow cooking...It's not lunchtime yet, and I have to stop before I gnaw my fingers off. Anyway, this brings me to the latest instance of Extreme Craft, a 6 foot 11 barbecue pit made in the shape of a PISTOL!

Joe Wood of Weimar, Texas built this 6 foot-11 custom barbecue pit in his home metal shop. The barrel is 10 feet long and 8 inches in diameter, and the entire rig is over 15 feet long. The pistol’s grips, which cover the firebox, are made of red oak. When cooking, the barrel acts as the grill’s chimney. It took over two years and 1,100 hours to complete, and used more than two tons of red oak, stainless, and carbon steel.

LINK via BoingBoing

1 Comments:

At 8/04/2005 02:44:00 PM, Blogger Gustad said...

why do you think we eat too much meat here?

cool blog by the way. keep writing

 

Post a Comment

<< Home