A compendium of craft masquerading as art, art masquerading as craft, and craft extending its middle finger.

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Does Yr Chewing Gum Lose Its Flava?


Dscn3718 - Ben's chewing gum art.
Originally uploaded by rahid1.
British artist Ben Wilson has found a novel canvas for his painting: chewing gum! He gets down on his hands and knees and paints the gum that people leave on the sidewalk, then varnishes the gum to protect the painting. He intends
to paint all of the sidewalk gum between Barnet and the West End.


"I'm just going to keep going and see how far I get," said Mr Wilson, who started his quest at the Hadley end of High Street, Barnet. "I use acrylic paint and varnish, then I've got a little burner to dry it. I've done different pictures cups of tea, elephants, flowers I do requests as well. Often I just draw whatever takes me on that day."

LINK
ADDITIONAL LINK TO PHOTOS

This story also reminded me of this weekend's episode of This American Life, in which a fellow named Shaheen was arrested while painting some guerilla art on the sidewalks, then got caught up in a web of CIA terror investigation.
LINK

1 Comments:

At 7/08/2006 10:26:00 PM, Blogger # said...

#

 

Post a Comment

<< Home