A compendium of craft masquerading as art, art masquerading as craft, and craft extending its middle finger.

Monday, February 14, 2005

What Did the Acorn Say When He Grew Up?


I work as a graphic designer in an architecture firm. Despite my best efforts to the contrary, I have to use math almost every day. I even had to (horror of horrors!) use pi last week. I always kick myself that the guidance counselor might have been right all along. That said, my brain always tends to melt down when I see examples of people using math and science as a way of creating art. My friend Merrilee just sent me an amazing example, the crocheted works of Daina Taimina and David Henderson, who wrote the textbook "Experiencing Geometry". They crochet woolen models of "hyperbolic space".....checkit:

Fluted and crenelated, the leaf of a lettuce curves away from itself. From the modest beginning of the stubby stalk where it abuts the stem, to the flared and scalloped edge, the space literally expands, each point seeking to maximize its domain. Lettuces, cabbages and certain types of kelp all embody hyperbolic geometry - the geometric opposite of the sphere.

Link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home